this is love

this is love
our successful grains

Thursday, July 14, 2016

The great migration continued....



Remember when we moved to California 6 months ago?  Well, we just made another unexpected big move.  But, not back to my beloved Baltimore as originally planned.  I've stopped making plans at this point, because our big plan to go back to Maryland was flipped on it's head. And might I add that I was 2 days away from making an offer on a new home in Maryland, when the powers at be informed us that Austin, TX would be Tim's new jobsite.  (Facebook has an Austin office, so it's just a location transfer).  I'll spare you all of the details of how I had my amazing friend Keri go view a house for me in Maryland to purchase.  It was THAT close.  Thank you, Keri! I love and miss you!

After many debates, conversations, tears, wine, questioning, and many more tears (from me), we are back in our home state of TEXAS.  And it feels goooooood....on the inside. It feels TERRIBLE outside.  From 50 degree nights in San Francisco to 100 degree highs in Austin.  I'm dying. 

THE PLANNING, TRAVEL, AND TRANSITION (as if anyone actually cares... hey mom, I know you do at least)

PLANNING:
When we packed up our Baltimore city life and traipsed across the county via train as if we had the mental stability to do so (what were we thinking), we downsized significantly to fit into a 2 bedroom apartment.  Now we're upsizing in order to stay true to "everything is bigger in Texas". Here's the problem with that: We didn't bring ANYTHING with us, excluding 8 checked bags and 2 carseats that we flew with.  YES WE DID. We gave all of our furniture and kitchenware to our babysitters family.  I now have/get to furnish an entire house and need to win the lottery. It's so fun and so daunting.  Non-shady Craigslist ads here I come!  (I already had to drive right past a house that I was suppose to pick up a desk from...SKETCH). #needmase #oracarrylicense TEXAS!

Did I mention I put in an offer on a house from California, scheduled a 30 day closing, and signed our settlement papers the day after we flew in.  People actually buy houses site-unseen!  We aren't in our right minds.  But, we LOVE the house..thankfully.  Glad I didn't have to turn right back around and sell this joker. I'm getting out of order here. It's kind of a talent....

TRAVEL:
This one is short and simple.  I wrangled the honey badger on our 3.5 flight as he cried and cried until he fell out for the last hour.  Sophia went to sleep beside us.  And tim was nowhere to be seen until we deplaned.  I give myself the MVP of this flight... and a bottle of wine every night thereafter.  Not going into more details to relive that horrible 2.5 hours of my life.  Just know that I greyed a little more....




TRANSITION:
As I mentioned, we flew in on a Monday evening, stayed in a hotel, and signed our house papers on Tuesday.  So that we could stay in our house the first night and not have to hold up in a hotel while tracking down furniture, I bought and shipped all of our beds which met us on our front porch in adorable "assembly required you idiots" boxes. YAAAAY.  But, we had them!
It took Sophia 12 seconds to pick out her own bedroom and settle in with her gigantic stuffed dog that we flew with. (which parent approved that!?).  I was pre-occupied, ok.  Gabriel went right to sleep in his new bed that Tim uncomplainingly suffered through "building".  These kids ADJUST.  They're awesome... and just use to their parents crazy ideas, I suppose.  "here we go again, bro".  "yeah sis, they're nuts..but we have to follow them".  I can hear them now...  I always overly prepare Sophia for the change, so I feel like we just slide right into our new lives.  I've kinda mastered that I think.  It helps that I enjoy change... thank you Army life (and Tim). 

 
 
 
Our very first purchase.  Bought on amazon, shipped to our door and assembled by a very nice man that I was willing to pay to do it.  #priorities

They love their new life!
 

THE BIGGEST CHANGES:
My sweat glands have enlarged, and my hair has gotten bigger #southernhair #teasethatsh*t


More to come on settling in and finishing first grade (Sophia not me, although I NEEDED that refresher year).  For now, I'm off to watch Friday Night Lights (the show) on Netflix.  Makes sense.

-Hales

P.s. it's soooooooooooooooooo hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!





1 comment: